Top Tips For Painting Your Nails
Thursday, 19 June 2014
If there's one thing I can do, it's paint my nails. Here's how I do it.
1. Trim them down. Although long nails look gorgeous, they're very difficult to maintain and quite prone to breaking. I don't need to tell you how quickly something like this can ruin your manicure. Keeping your nails short and sweet is the easiest way to avoid accidents. After all, it's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it. (I'm still talking about nails!)
2. Use a file to keep them neat, these blocks are very inexpensive and available almost anywhere. Not only do they have everything you need in one place but they have handy instructions on how best to use the different sections. For me, it's so important to smooth down the ridges of the nail to avoid an uneven manicure.
3. My favourite polish at the moment is Essie's Fiji. I am absolutely obsessed with this gorgeous off-white nude, it's everything I could possibly want in a summer shade. I've written a full blog post about it here. Make sure when choosing a polish that you consider the formula and even the brush shape - everything makes a difference! I find that building up the colour using multiple, thin layers is the best way to achieve the perfect look. If you find you're prone to flaking, wiping a little remover over the nail before application can make all the difference.
4. A good top coat is everything for me. Not only does it make your manicure last that little bit longer but it actively prevents chipping. I'm using Seche Vite's Dry Fast Top Coat and loving it, having instantly dry nails is an absolute godsend. Bringing your top coat right over the end of your nail is essential to keep your nails looking perfect. If you're using a bright colour make sure to use a base coat in order to avoid staining your nails.
5. Using a good quality hand cream regularly is a great way of making sure your hands are always super soft and looking lovely. I'm into Laura Mercier's Ambre Vanille Souffle Body Creme is a gorgeous product that I love to use, it's so luxurious and smells like sweets! To be honest, any hand cream will do. It's hard to go wrong with such a simple product. Just make sure you keep those hands hydrates, just like you do the rest of your skin.
If you struggle to do a good manicure, there are a few ways you can cheat. You can get all kinds of false nails which are great quality and often look better than polish does, press on nails are particularly popular at the moment. Always remember, there's nothing a cotton bud dipped in nail varnish remover can't fix. (Quite the catchy saying, don't you think?)
Hopefully this has been helpful, if you'd like to know anything else feel free to leave a question in the comments below. What are your top tips for painting your nails?